What is Bobath and what does it consist of?
What is Bobath? Can be defined as a type of physiotherapeutic treatment for patients with damage to the central nervous system. Keep reading for more information!
The Bobath philosophy
The philosophy is to improve patients’ mobility through preparing the involved musculature. And in addition, education in everyday movement. Many physical therapists use the Bobath concept in rehabilitating patients with neurological conditions. As a result, it promotes sensory and motor pathways and eases normal movement.
The Bobath history
The focus of this concept is based on the brain’s ability to adapt to change, reorganize and recover after neurological damage. All treatment with the method follows certain premises. Although it is adapted to the different conditions of each patient with neurological pathology. These principles would be:
- Encouragement of normal movement patterns.
- Focus on the quality of movement.
- Normalization of tone to facilitate active movement.
- Positioning and posture when lying, sitting, and standing.
- Discourage compensatory movements.
- Discourage muscle strength training.
- Encouraging maximum functional recovery to improve the quality of independence.